UA-58371704-1

Thursday, 8 January 2015

Gumtree: Property Savvy Tips

This is not one of my usual posts I write, but I wish I had read this kind of a post when I was looking to buy property. I've had my fair share of property hunting over the past couple of years whether it may be to buy or merely to rent. It’s always such a struggle to find an area within your price range and a platform or tool that can be used to provide all the necessary information needed when making such an important decision. I personally know of quiet a few of my friends and colleges that have reached that point in their life where buying or renting a property would just be a good life decision.

I came across this Gumtree property pricing tool where you can find the current pricing of properties for rent and sale within South Africa. It’s a pretty handy tool if you’re looking to move any time soon, or just want to check out the current market! 

I promise this property finder will make your life so much easier when you trying to find your dream home. One thing that I especially loved about this tool is that it shows you the price it would cost depending on the amount of rooms per area. It really is that nifty. I wish I had a tool like this when I was looking for property about 3 years ago. 

So I've chosen 3 of my favourite locations in Western Cape & with this exercise you would see how easy and efficient this tool really is.
The 1st location is Cape Winelands--->Stellenbosch
The 2nd location is Cape Town--->Gardens
The 3rd location is Northern Suburbs--->Durbanville
Some Personal Tips for Buying Property
About 3years ago when me and my husband purchased our 1st property.  I was about 21years old at the time and had absolutely no idea what buying a property was about. What I knew was rather dangerous, I followed peoples advice and read some articles. But nothing prepared me for the horror of buying a property and not knowing what it's about. So I would definitely want to share with you some of my tips so that the same thing does not happen to you.

Tip 1
If you are wanting to buy a property in a unknown area, I would prefer you rent before buying. You cannot really say whether you like it until you have lived there. I made this mistake the traffic from the location I purchased was horrible and I literally had to get up 2hours earlier to get to work in time.
Tip 2 
Rent before purchasing a property within a complex or estate. My husband & I lived in a 2bedroom apartment with merely a wall separating the 2 apartments. My neighbors were party animals and loved playing very loud music at crazy hours of the night, this resulted in many "sleepy walks" over to the neighbors and telling them to turn it down & be reasonable. Then later hearing the music being put back onto blast a hour later! There is however more flexibility when you rent, you can always get your landlord to deal with it. Besides that paying levies are a killer, especially when its not calculated on for your individual usage but mostly on a generic group bases. 
Tip 3
Shop around, don't go for the 1st deal you get. This is also 1 of the reasons why I love this Gumtree tool so much. It really allows you to play around and check different areas and price ranges. Be well informed. 
Tip 4
Don't let any sales person or rental agent bully you. This is why its important to know what you want and whether the property fits into your lifestyle and not other way around, i'm in no way or form a property expert. But I am a property buyer that wish I didn't have to learn these things the hard way. The rental agent gets paid for every sale so "NO" he is not doing you any favours.
Tip 5 
Decide before hand if you prefer an apartment or a house. My husband and I thought we liked the idea of a apartment on the 2nd floor for the uuhhhm.... view you know. But soon after climbing tedious amount of steps daily with loads of groceries or even a tub full of washing to be hanged. It didn't seem as exciting as what we had thought it would be. Our apartment only had 2 floors so there was no lift for tired, lazy days. Also my husband is a very hands on kind of a guy and not having a backyard or allocated area for his space was a huge issue for him. So don't let the excitement of buying your pretty 1st property overshadow the logistics.
I hope some of these tips and tricks can help you not make the same mistakes I did. This is definitely not the usual fashion and beauty tips I share but I do think these are life tips that is very essential. Be property savvy!

Let me know if you have more tips that you would like share about renting or buying property?

6 comments:

  1. These are some really great tips!

    Candice | Beauty Candy Loves
    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Fantastic tips, will def be using soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the insight....I'm actually looking to buy at this moment. So I'm looking around and will be using these tips :)

    ReplyDelete