UA-58371704-1

Wednesday, 3 August 2016

Being an adult is TOUGH

I have quite a bit of things to say about this specific topic. I have been living on my own for just over 4 years and I can with absolute conviction say that this thing we call being an ”ADULT” is really hard work. So on that note I thought I’d write down a list of things I wish I knew about being an adult before actually diving into being an adult.

Paying bills are stressful
I know you have probably heard this a thousand times but seriously this is probably the worst thing about being an adult. Gone are the days of frivolous spending, buying those expensive shoes, bags and things you don’t really need without a care in the world as you knew that mommy dearest would not leave you starving because you went on a complete spending spree a week into the new month. Nothing really prepares you for being on your own, until you actually have to be on your own. I learned this lesson the hard way. I got married at the age of 22 to the most amazing man in the entire world, we have been married for just over 4 years & trust me paying builds, juggling expenses and budgeting to get our money to stretch is not for the faint of heart. We both work which does make it easier but still having to choose paying a bond, car payment or even varsity fees over the newest hottest trending clothing items, the latest gadgets & fancy travels overseas is definitely no easy task.
Juggling everything is an art
We as women are known for our super powers of multi-tasking, juggling and planning. But when you’re an adult this is usually taken to another level. I’m currently full time employed, a part time student, a passionate blogger, a married woman and mommy to a almost 3 month of old energetically gorgeous husky called Skye that needs constant attention and love all hours of the night. I know that many other women can add many more things to this list such as having kids, assisting kids with school work, extra mural activities, cleaning the house, groceries shopping & cooking meals 7 days a week etc This just goes to say that being an adult is hard work!

Self-Motivation is key
While living at home I have always had the most amazing motivating mom. She always motivated me to be better and do better. I would get sent off to school with a side note of”Put in the handwork now and you will reap the benefits later” or after a test that perhaps didn’t go too well I would get a healthy push of” I know you can do better than this” But when you get older and start living on your own as a adult you realize that there is no one that is responsible for your success, mom isn’t there every day to motivate you or hold your hand every step of the way. It is up to you and only YOU to take on the big world out there and create opportunities for yourself. The world out there will always tell you that you not smart enough, creative enough or even motivated enough. Well it up to you to prove that you are all those things and so much more.

Being an adult is TOUGH
I have experienced that one of the absolute hardest things about being adult is that you don’t always get what you want. The world is a tough environment, when living at home with your parents you enjoy the perks of their home, care and protection. But when you on your own you have to really row your own boat, what I mean by that is if tomorrow you decide you hate your job can you actually just decide to quit and be without a job? Or if your boss is an absolute monster can you just turn around and quit your job until you actually find something better?... I would assume NO if you not born with a golden spoon in your mouth. This is where you would find individuals staying in jobs they hate doing things they don’t like in order to pay the bills. Hopefully you would never have to be in a horrible position like this, but if you ever are it usually sucks.


That being said there are many awesome perks to being an adult. I’ll list a few below:
- No curfew: I use to hate having a curfew. All my friends could stay out until 12pm and I needed to be home at 10pm. My mom’s famous words “My house, my rules” I know it’s sad.
- Don’t have to answer to anyone: Do you remember the dreaded moment when your friends want go out at the spur of the moment and you have to go and ask your mom and then get told ask your dad? YUP don’t miss that at all.
- Eat your vegetables: Well I eat my vegetables because it’s good for me, not because I get told to or you not getting desert!??
- You can change your hair as many times as you please, no one cares.
- You can formulate your own opinions and views. 

However we all at some point in our lives have to learn & grow up into responsible adults. Share your opinion on the topic below in the comment section. 
Looking forward to hear your thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment